MT12.4 - LMH series continues

"Sex in Mind and in Education: debates about university education for women in nineteenth century Ireland and England, and their legacy today"

A presentation by Dr Deirdre Raftery, University College, Dublin

2:00 pm, Old Library, Talbot Hall, Lady Margaret Hall


19 January 2010

An article good for self-reflection

Nepotism and Sexism in Peer Review

The above links to the 'classic' study (1997) on sexism in peer-review systems. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone involved with a peer-review process, meaning everyone in academia, read this? Even if they felt like the analysis wasn't perfect, at least it would expose them to the ideas, and hopefully get them to think twice about their own biases. I know that if I discover that I harbor sexist biases (and I do on a somewhat regular basis), there must be many more who do as well since I didn't grow up in a vacuum. I even had a fairly left of normal up-bringing, so discovering moments of my own sexism is somewhat painful.

Many will argue that things have gotten better since 1997, but looking at the 'leaky pipeline numbers', it's clear that the situation is far from great.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah, yes I agree about both the self-reflection and building up evidence about implicit biases.

    Here are a couple of other references for studies along similar lines (implicit biases in CV/resume evaluation, in leadership ability, and another double-blind peer review study):

    Steinpreis. The impact of gender on the review of the curricula vitae of job applicants and tenure candidates.

    Eagly. Gender and the evaluation of leaders: A meta-analysis.

    Budden et al. Double-blind review favours increased representation of female authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete